164–Don’t be a Hayter


Mother, knitter, spinner, writer, wife, weaver, host...not necessarily in that order...

6 Responses

  1. Lisa says:

    Oh wow – just listened to this episode (getting caught up) and was so moved by Wentworth’s obvious care and attention for Anne that not even Anne saw coming. It’s like he’s giving 10% of his attention to Louisa and the other 90% to what Anne is doing, how she might be feeling… loved also how he rescued her from her little nephew Walter!

    I agree with you Heather, sometimes I long for the manners of the earlier times (not the earlier times of course as I am West Indian and that would not be a good time for me! LOL!) mixed with the modern conveniences of today. I guess there is a trade off as we lose patience for such things as the world apparently spins faster and faster… ah well. We can all fantasize can’t we?

    As for the milk versus water debate… we here generally make cream of wheat with water and then add a dash of milk to “whiten” it up and make it creamy. Making with milk for sure is more tasty!

  2. Thereesa says:

    Always water! My husband grew up with milk in tomato soup and cream of wheat. I can’t take how thick and sticky it is. I have converted my husband to water, too.
    . . . and my kids, of course, if they wanted me to make it.

  3. Jamie says:

    I am a milk person, my husband water. That goes for tomato soup, hot chocolate, and oatmeal. The kids don’t care one way or the other, from what I can see. They will take whatever they are given to them at this time when it comes to oatmeal, and I have not gotten them to eat soup yet.

  4. Renee says:

    I love this book so much, and the chapter about the walk is one of my favorites (rivaling the similar scene in Mansfield Park where various characters wander around and reveal much about their characters).

    It has surprised me that you haven’t mentioned Austen’s connections to the navy. Didn’t she have a youngest brother who didn’t do very well in the Navy, and another who eventually became an Admiral? In my head, the dead brother always figured to me to be a reflection of the youngest brother, and Wentworth’s success similar to her brothers – after all, Austen’s family was pseudo-gentry – not landed. I’ve always thought of the Crofts as probably being imagined out of the families she came into contact with while visiting her navy brother (sorry, I’ve forgotten his name).

    Maybe I’ll pull out my BBC movie this weekend with my Mom visiting – but she may insist on the Colin Firth Pride & Prejudice.

  5. Barb says:


    Absolutely cream, half-n-half or milk!!!! Don’t let the heretics convince you.


  6. Krispian says:

    Dear Heather,

    I have a comment to make with respect to the water and milk debate for making tomato soup. I add cream. I hope that helps :-p